If the album "Speak Now" were a personality type

I think that if the album Speak Now by Taylor Swift were a personality type, it would be an INFP.

At first, this doesn't seem like a fitting choice for Speak Now, which is all about saying the things you've wanted to say to people for a while, and INFPs aren't known for their confrontational skills due to their inferior Extroverted Thinking (Te). 

But this album's Introverted Feeling (Fi) is too strong for it not to be the dominant function. You can tell she feels each song so deeply, especially with songs like Dear John, Enchanted, Last Kiss, and even Long Live. A lot of the concepts are romanticized. And you could definitely make the argument that she never actually says all the things she sings about to the people she wants to, but it is very Fi-Ne to put them in songs instead. 

At first, I thought Speak Now was an Fi auxiliary (ENFP or ESFP), but then I compared it to albums of hers that I think are Fi-aux's- specifically, 1989. Sure, that album has themes of Fi in it, but it certainly isn't the main theme of the album. However, Speak Now is all about feelings.

The notable exception to this is the song Mean. This is all about not letting people's words get to you, which is NOT typical for an Fi-dom. The inferior Te of this album really shines through in this song. It seems like she has started to develop her Te in this song. Here are some quotes from songs that emphasize the INFP-ness of Speak Now, with explanations.


First of all, the entirety of "Mine" just gives me major xNFP vibes. The lyrics are very romanticized, even for a romantic song. The chorus is, "Do you remember, we were sitting there by the water? You put your arm around me for the first time. You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter. You are the best thing that's ever been mine." The Fi and Ne in this chorus is kind of self-explantory.

"Drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain. Kiss me on the sidewalk, take away the pain." This song (Sparks Fly) has a similar romanticized vibe to Mine. Very Fi.

"I lose myself in a daydream." - Speak Now. Self-explanatory. I know that daydreaming doesn't necessarily mean Ne (or Fi) but it still supports my theory.

ALL OF DEAR JOHN is so INFP. She's reflecting deeply on this past relationship. She's having so many feelings and she's putting them all in this song. Here's the chorus: "Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone. Don't you think I was too young to be messed with? The girl in the dress cried the whole way home."

I already talked about Mean and how it showcases a bit of Te. "Someday I'll be living in a big old city and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me and all you're ever gonna be is mean."

Just the title of Never Grow Up already has such INFP vibes. This song is all about embracing youth while you can.

Enchanted is one of the most xNFP songs on the album. It's all about meeting someone who catches your eye, and romanticizing your idea of them, but never telling them how you feel. "This night is sparkling, don't you let it go. I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home/dancing around all alone. I'll spend forever wondering if you knew I was enchanted to meet you." 

Haunted has major Introverted Sensing (Si) vibes, and INFP's have Si as a tertiary function. It has VERY similar vibes to Right Where You Left Me from evermore. It's about feeling stuck in the same place after a relationship is over, and being "haunted" by the memories. 

I can confidently say that Last Kiss is THE MOST INFP song on Speak Now. It absolutely encapsulates a feeling of being so lost after a relationship ends that you just want to sit on the floor and cry. But not in an angry or chaotic way... in a slow, soft, sad way. Here are a bunch of lyrics from this song and what function I think they go with. "I still remember the look on your face, lit through the darkness at 1:58" = Si. "I do recall now the smell of the rain, fresh on the pavement" -Fi and Si. "But now I'll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes. All that I know is I don't know how to be someone you miss. Never thought we'd have a last kiss." -Fi. "So I'll watch your life in pictures like I used to watch you sleep. And I feel you forget me like I used to feel you breathe. And I'll keep up with our old friends just to ask them how you are... I hope it's nice where you are. And I hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day, and something reminds you, you wish you had stayed. You can plan for a change in the weather or time, but I never planned on you changing your mind." Fi and Si. This song just gives major Fi-Si loop vibes.

Long Live could easily be an ENFP or an ESFP song, and it probably is, but it still has Fi vibes because of the "attaching personal emotional meaning to experiences" thing. Although it is more of an ExFP song.


I hope you liked my somewhat thorough analysis! What are your thoughts? *Please* let me know if you have any in the comments below. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

PoPuLaR pOsTs